25 March 2010

Comment :: UK Transport

What is it with drivers in the UK. This morning when driving to the office, there was someone in a VW camper van who I don’t think had any clue about lane discipline. At one point he was in the outside lane with no-one inside him at all. I live in the busy South East and having to deal with something like that is ridiculous. In order to get past him I’d have to break the law (which I didn’t).

I then got further up the motorway and there was an accident. It looked like all the parties were OK as they seemed to be walking around, but there was a very long queue of traffic. The Highways Agency had put the matrix signs on, but that didn’t stop people tearing down towards the incident as if it was the end of the world.

And finally, when I came off the motorway it was foggy. And people were driving without lights. What is it with someone them. They seem to have the attitude of I’m all right Jack. I can see OK so it doesn’t matter that someone might not see me. I know that people seem to use the fog lights whenever there is inclement weather, but at least try and use them when there is a fog about.

Unfortunately we seem to now be in a society where having a car is a necessity so these problems are going to happen more and more. Eventually the South East of England will be just one car park.

Public transport hasn’t been the same since Dr Beeching decided to close may rural rail lines, and then the Conservative government decided to sell off what railways were left. If the government want us to leave our cars at home and use buses and trains for more of our trips, make it work for us. I have a 80 mile round trip each day and that takes me two hours. If I want to do that journey by public transport it would be a three hour round trip and then I’ll probably end up standing for most of that. With an election coming up, Public Transport should be one of the priorities, but I’m guessing all the time the car driver is filling the pockets of the treasury that will never happen.

0 comments: