24 March 2010

Network Issues

Well the first day in the blogging world is over. What have I learnt ?

Firstly, that even though the experiences of a recent bout of Norovirus wasn’t very pleasant, it has helped me change my thought patterns relating to food. Before I was more than happy to eat just because food was there. On more than one occasion I have searched through the cupboards trying to find something to eat. I would often hide any wrappings so that others didn’t know that I’ve just eaten. In the week that I was unwell, I lost 6lb. That was a great boost as I’d been hovering around the same weight for months. Since clearing the illness, I’ve been eating more fruit and salad and have been slowly losing more. Another 1lb dropped yesterday, so more than pleased.

One of our sister sites has numerous back doors into their network. They were a company of about 20 people before being taken over. We have just performed an audit of the infrastructure and have found 4 routes into the network – two of them via wireless routers so not very secure. Lot of work involved, but we will resolve all the issues over there.

I’ve also found out that one of my team wasn’t following the morning checks routine correctly and have discovered that no backups have worked on two systems since Christmas. Examining the logs, the server has lost connectivity to the tape drive. Simple thing to find out, but obviously something that wasn’t checked.

Apart from these findings, I had an almost pleasant enough day. Cleared up lots of loose ends that have been left due to other commitments. Completed the building of a Citrix Presentation Server 4.5 machine. Added a number of new machines to the backup schedule.

0 comments: